Making dreadlocks on straight hair once was impossible, but wanting dreadlocks has been very common for years. If you are ready to make a statement and commitment, you are ready for this journey. This is not for everyone, once done this method permanent.
Straight hair is not a reason not to have dreads anymore. Making dreadlocks on straight hair can be acheived with several methods. Dreads can be sewn, back combed, palmrolled, crochet, braided,tied and twisted in also.I highly recommend this Dread Locks Guide for more more instructions.
Colors can also be added if you choose extension dreads. However you can dye or add color to your hair.
This method can also be used when adding extensions to hair.
Step by Step Dreadlocks On Straight Hair
- metal comb(flea comb)
- aloe vera gel, pomade, or styling gel
- Shampoo your hair with a deep cleansing shampoo, a conditioner is not to be used after this.You want your hair to be prepared for back combing.
- Section you hair by clamping top of hair out of your way.Start around the bottom of your head.
- Hair could be blown dry in sections or before beginning.
- Take a section ,and start back combing with a metal comb or flea comb.Hold hair straight while working down the hair shaft
- (Or Twist the section and use 7mm crochet needle to puncture hair fast while rotating hair side ot side to bring stray hair out all around section work your way down to end.)
- The chosen process is done throughout the entire head.
- Hair is rolled between your hands with a grease-less pomade ,styling gel,or nothing at all. Just imagine clay being rolled between both your hands while your trying to make it longer! (This will make the dreads neat. Do this after each shampoo!
- You can pull stray hairs into the dreads with the crochet needle. This takes a lot of time.
You can shampoo your hair as often as you want. But if you are african american it takes three times as long for your scalp to develope natural oils necessary to maintain healthy hair. So it is best to wait at least a week.Learn to care for natural African American hair if that what you have.
Use a antiseptic or teatree shampoo to stimulate a hot sweaty scalp. If you can not shampoo your hair for some reason wipe seabreaze antiseptic or listerine onto your scalp.
Don't worry this backcombing method locks the hair right away!
Care Free Dreadlocks
Carefree dreadlocks is a myth. Your hair has to shampooed, palm rolled,and sprayed with leave in conditioners and wrapped to prevent lint from making a home. If you want to look groomed. Doing a little every other day will keep your dreadlock groomed. Leaving it alone is fine with a firmer method like crocheting but some stray strands can always need a little help.
You can buy some synthetic hair to practice on at home before you try this on anyone.The packs of synthetic hair cost around $2.
Good Luck and Enjoy the Journey!
Dreadlocks On Straight Hair Video